Friday 13 February 2009

Milk Carton Carrier Tutorial

Now this could be a long post, it's surprising how long it takes to do these tutorials. Fingers crossed it makes sense but if you've any questions please leave a comment or send me an email. (You should be able to click on all the images for a larger and clearer version.)
note: This is not my original idea, I've only adapted this one here from Lauren Meader.
Cut...
2 pieces of cardstock @ 8 1/2" x 2"
and
2 pieces of cardstock @ 5 7/8" x 3 3/4"
(For everyone in Europe the cardstock is A4. You can get all these pieces out of one sheet of A4 by cutting the two 8 1/2" x 2" pieces first and then trimming the remaining piece to 3 3/4" wide and then cutting that piece in half.)
Score the two 8 1/2" x 2" pieces @ 1/2", 2 3/8", 6 1/8" & 8" across the long side, then score 1/2" down the width. (that bit always confuses me on which side is which, but hopefully you can work it out from the picture.)
Then score the two 5 7/8" x 3 3/4" pieces at 1 7/8".
From a Post-it-note punch out a circle with a 1 3/8" circle punch and use this mask to position where you want the hole for the carrier handle on the 5 7/8" x 3 3/4" piece of cardstock. When you're happy on your positioning match the two 5 7/8" x 3 3/4"pieces of cardstock together, place you punch over your mask and punch through. I wasn't sure if the punch would manage double thickness but my Stampin' Up! one did. If your punch can't quite manage it, do one piece at a time using your mask as a guide for where your hole is.

To add the decorative scalloped circle round the hole you have just made, punch a 1 3/8" circle in a co-ordinating piece of cardstock. Position the scallop circle over the top of the hole you have just made and punch out (make 2 - one for each side).

Stick these as shown. (Make sure your two 5 7/8" x 3 3/4" pieces are matched together when you do this. I managed to flip one piece over whilst doing a sample and consequently they holes didn't match up. lol!)

Now to make one half of the carrier, fold on the score line so it comes up to the scallop circle.

Now take your 8 1/2" x 2" piece and use the scallop border punch to decorate the long edge that does not have a score line. Fold on all the score lines, cut out the small corners as shown and make two, 1/2" cuts on the score lines again as shown. Add some strong sticky strip to the inside of each tab.

Now it's time to put the first half of the carrier together... are you still with me??

Take your 5 7/8" x 3 3/4" piece and with the scored bit folded up, turn it over and position it into the corner of the 8 1/2" x 2" piece. Fold over the small flap and stick down. Stick the other little flap down on the opposite side in the same way.

As you lift the carrier up you will see how this comes together - the base will drop down and the tabs you have left are to be stuck to the underside of the base. (This isn't easy to explain but hopefully the pictures will make it clearer)

Do the same to make the other carrier half.

When you have made two of these, put plenty of strong sticky tape on the back of one and stick them together ...and VOILA! A little carrier ready for you to decorate! I rounded the corners on this one, which are hiding under the ribbon, and I added some patterned paper to the centre panel before I started putting the whole thing together. The rest is self explanatory. The pots I filled with Choccy raisins and surprisingly they're quite heavy but the carrier takes the weight no problem.

I hope this tutorial can be of use to someone. Please leave a comment, and a link to let me know if you've had a go - I'd love to see your creations!

tfl,

Jo :)

E.T.A. The containers are plastic shot glasses with lids. I bought mine from a lady that sold them from a bulk buy, so sorry I can't help as to where you can get them from. I did a quick Google and there are suppliers out there though.

21 comments:

Kylie said...

Super cute tutorial!
I can't wait to make one and use it for Easter!
Thanks so much for sharing,
Take Care
~Kylie~

Monica Gale said...

Thanky you Jo this is wonderful. M xxx

Emma said...

WOW Jo you are a star. This tut is fabby - I love you forever - hee hee. Seriously though thanks so much for sharing.

Unknown said...

crikey Jo you got this posted early and quickly. I was only looking at your blog very late last night. Lovely as ever.

Emma xx

Saxo Stamper said...

Hi Jobe - wow, just gorgeous, not tried it yet.....

lovely work as usual

Stephanie said...

Simply gorgeous! Fab tutorial too - thanks x

Unknown said...

Perfectly clear instructions Jo which are aided by the pictures - it's a great tutorial and one I will be certainly trying out later to show people. A big thank you x

Unknown said...

Fabulous Jo, can't wait to have a go. TFS :-)
Melanie
x

Ann Wills said...

Brilliant tutorial, thanks so much, I have had a go, http://craftysquirrel.blogspot.com/
Not as pretty as yours, I had to spend a while working out the dimensions for the cartons. Once again, thanks Jo.

Mandy said...

Fantastic tutorial Jo, so clear and easy to follow. Your project looks gorgeous!

mandy

Life Full of Sunflowers said...

Wonderful - I love this and thank you for the tutorial. I will definitely be using it in the near future. TFS !!

Kate Lewis said...

Thank you so so much for doing this tutorial Jo - it's fantastic! Have a great weekend! Kate xx

Anne Jagger said...

This is wonderful. Thank you.
Anne x

Amanda said...

Wonderful Jo, thank you, I'll be making a similar version at my love chocolate class. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I love your version of this but I am wondering where you got the little pots?

Helen Ding said...

Fab tutorial thanks, my neices and nephews will be happy to receive one of these! Pressie on my blog
for you

craftsbyjodi said...

very cute... maybe I should try making one instead of having my SU stuff just sitting around collecting dust!

Anonymous said...

fabulous tutorial Jo! TFS ~Donna

Unknown said...

love it thanks for sharing

Scrapcomber said...

Great tutorial, I will have a go at this. Thanks for posting

Kim said...

super cute idea, thanks for sharing. This will be on my inspiration blog post tomorrow.